Saturday, June 24, 2006

Graduation

Ok, I haven't updated this thing in a while but it's not like anyone reads this anyway. On June 16th, I had my high school graduation. The students had to come in at 8 am to practice walking so we don't screw up in front of thousands of people. After two tries, we finally figured it out and the administrators were satisfied that the class of 2006 will look decent.
After practice, I didn't want to spend gas and money to drive home and I didn't really have anything to do, so Lars and I went up to his house up in the mountains to try to find a deer that was eating his vineyard. We decided that there's no other choice but to kill it, so I armed myself with a baseball ball, Lars got a giant wrench and a bow and arrows. We spent a good hour looking for the stupid animal, but it was nowhere to be found. Deer hunting, or more like deer looking, was good exercise and a good waste of time.
So after changing into graduation clothes, we drove back down to Los Gatos for graduation. The way the ceremony was conducted was very strange. A group of students would sit in a classroom until their room number would be called. At that point, we would meet with another classroom and merge with them. And then, these two lines merge with two other classrooms. So starting from a single-file line in a classroom, we end up on the front lawn marching 4 people at a time.
The ceremony started with the singing of the national anthem, of course. Then, 3 students gave their speeches. The speeches were decent, but nothing to write home about. The best part of the ceremony, in my opinion, was giving high school diplomas to two Los Gatos High School graduates from the 40s. They did not recieve their diplomas because they were sent to an internment camp shortly after Pearl Harbor. But now, they are able to claim their diplomas.
After some tear-jerker speeches, the names of the first seniors were being called. I was in the second to last row, so it would be an hour until my name is called. There were 450+ seniors graduating with me, so the whole thing took quite a while.
In the end, there were lots of hugs, handshakes, congratulations, and many many pictures.

A few hours later, Grad Night would start, but that's for the next post.

P.S. I don't have time to spell-check or edit this post, so if there are some mistakes, I'm sorry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home